Are you having one of those days when you are too lazy to cook, too lazy to go out and weirdly enough you don’t want to order in as well? and amidst all these random mood swings, you still want to eat something yummy? Well, the answer to your problems is a “mushroom basil” dish! This is as quick as it gets, light on the stomach, rich with the flavour of basil in every bite and also, very flexible in its serving style.
Recipe 53: Basil mushroom
Recipe credits: Author of the blog
The inspiration for this dish came from one of my favourite dishes at Mamagoto , the “hot basil chicken cups”. These are served on a bed of a large lettuce leaf as starters , but I chose to serve it with steamed rice topped with a one-egg omelette! (as I said, the style of serving is completely personal!)
The recipe below serves one (multiply as per your requirement)
What you need:
1 tbsp olive oil, 2 tsp of chopped onion, 1-2 tsp crushed garlic (depends on your love for garlic), 1 tsp chopped celery (optional), 1 cup of freshly chopped basil, salt and pepper to taste, 5-6 finely chopped medium sized mushrooms.
How to make it edible:
1. Heat oil in a skillet, add garlic and stir till it begins to change colour.
2. Add onions and stir fry till they turn pink. Add the seasoning at this point.
3. Add celery and stir for a minute.
4. Add mushrooms and cook till they are slightly brown in color.
5. Once mushrooms are cooked, remove from flame and add the fresh basil and mix well. Serve with rice or bread or on the bed of a large lettuce leaf!
Voila, this is super easy-peasy!! You can always substitute the mushrooms with chicken or better still, why choose? put them both in 😀
Time spent in Kitchen: 10 – 15 minutes
Price range of the total cost of all ingredients: INR 50-100