Although a part of the mexican food bandwagon, this dish can very well be put in the category of “anytime food”. Be it breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack time, quesadilla is a perfect meal and is ready in a very short duration of time.
Now I made mine from scratch, that is, starting from the tortilla dough, but you can use my filling recipe on any store-bought tortillas as well.
Recipe 49: Veggie Quesadilla
Recipe credits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2UWtlNvugY for the tortilla dough
Author of the blog for the filling
Once you are done making the dough as per the video, leave the dough to rest for a bit by covering it with a glass bowl (upside down).
Meanwhile, start making the filling (please note that I made only 1/4th of the tortilla dough recipe that made 4 tortillas, so this filling was enough for them, if you decide to make 24 as per the video, just multiply my filling recipe by 4 or perhaps 5).
What you need:
– 1.5 tsp olive oil,
– 3 cloves of garlic – crushed,
– 1/2 green bellpepper (chopped), 1/2 red bellpepper (chopped), 1/2 yellow bellpepper (chopped),
– salt and black pepper to taste,
– zest of 1 lemon,
– 8 mushrooms (washed, chopped and boiled),
– 3 blanched tomatoes pureed,
– Cheese spread and grated processed cheese (this entirely depends on your love for cheese, I use 1 tbsp cheese spread and 1/4 grated cheese cube on each tortilla).
How to make it yummy:
1. In a wok, heat the olive oil and add the garlic and stir for few seconds.
2. Add the veggies and cook for a good 3 minutes or more until they become a bit toasty.
3. During this time, add the lemon zest and the salt and pepper.
4. Add the tomato puree and cook the mix for 5-10 minutes until the sauce reduces in quantity and becomes thick (you don’t want it dripping out of your quesadilla).
The sauce is done :).. Quesadilla timeee!
5. Now, when your tortilla is almost done but still cooking (as explained in the video), spread some cheese spread on one half and spread the filling on top of it (do not put a lot, else it will come screaming out of your wrap) and then last step, the grated cheese flakes.
6. Fold the other half of the tortilla on top of the filling (to make a semi-circular wrap), cook for a few seconds, and then turn the quesadilla on the other side. Once cooked, serve with yoghurt dip and olives (Refer to day 23, Recipe 35 for the recipe).
Time spent in Kitchen: 45 mins – 1 hour (including time for making dough)
Price range of the total cost of all ingredients: INR 150 -200 (for 4 quesadillas)