Ok, so most people would not be big fans of what I baked (carrot cupcakes) .. well frankly, neither am I … but my mom loves these and I am guessing there are some other people like her who have a tastebud for unusual desserts..
Well, it boons well for me, these are easy-peasy and actually quite tasty if you are willing to experiment a bit..
Recipe 42: Carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting
Recipe credits: http://www.joyofbaking.com/CarrotMuffins.html
The yellow rose was made with buttercream frosting .. ( Refer to Day 27, Recipe 40).
What you need:
For the cupcakes (“Makes 12 standard-sized cupcakes”):
1/4 cup (60 ml) walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup raisins
1 1/3 cups (320 ml) grated raw carrot (about 2-3 peeled carrots)
3/4 cup (150 grams) brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or cardomom (whatever you prefer)
1/2 cup (120 ml) coconut(sweetened or unsweetened) (optional)
1/2 cup (120 ml) oil
1/2-1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the cream cheese frosting:
1/4 cup (56 grams) butter , room temperature
4 ounces (1/2 cup) (110 grams) cream cheese, room temperature
3 tablespoons confectioners’ (powdered or icing) sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
How to make it edible:
1. Peel and finely grate the carrots. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together all the wet ingredients.
4. Fold the wet ingredients into the flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. At this step, you can add some milk or water if the mixture is not moist enough.
5. Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. Place paper liners in 12 cupcake cups and grease the liners with oil. Evenly divide the batter between the prepared cupcake cups.
6. Place cupcake rack in center of oven. Bake for 20 -25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
7. After about 10 minutes remove the cupcakes from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
1. Beat the butter and cream cheese until very smooth with no lumps.
2. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar until fully incorporated and smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract.
3. Place a dollop of the cream cheese frosting on the top of each cupcake.
Words of wisdom:
1. Please make sure that your oven is preheated and the cupcake cups ready and greased on the tray before mixing the wet and dry ingredients (you should do this with all cupcakes).
2. If you wish to make this with egg, just substitute the 2 bananas with 2 eggs.
3. You can also choose to caramelize your walnuts by tossing them in some brown sugar on a slow flame for a few seconds.
Time spent in Kitchen: 30 minutes -1 hour minutes including baking time
Price range of the total cost of all ingredients: INR 150-200 (I only made 4 cupcakes)