This post comes to you from a completely baked-out me :p.. the last few months have been spent inside the oven :D.. and if I were a cake, I would say I am a pretty happy one 😀
But the little chef in me was craving to get inside the kitchen and spruce up something savoury for a change, and for this one, I decided to use the one function of my oven that has been untouched, the grill, bringing to you, grilled chicken.
Recipe 57: Lemon and herb grilled chicken
What you need:
1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest
1/3 cup (about 2 lemons) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh oregano
2 Tablespoons olive oil (plus more for grates)
coarse salt & freshly ground pepper
2 pounds chicken breast
4 medium lemons, halved crosswise
oregano sprigs for garnish, optional
“All things yummy” tweaky menu items (optional): Freshly chopped parsley, olives, smoked pepper cheese, balsamic vinegar ( I use the one by “Colavita“)
How to make it “Chickeny”:
1. For the marinade, whisk the lemon zest and juice, oregano, oil, 2 teaspoons coarse salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Leave for marination at room temperature for 30 minutes, you can store them in a plastic bag or in a container covered with clingwrap, remember to occasionally shake the chicken in order for the flavours to seep in.
2. Preheat grill to medium; lightly oil grates. Remove chicken from marinade, and pat dry with paper towels. Place chicken on grill. Cover and cook until lightly browned and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Turn chicken over, cover and cook until chicken is cooked through. If chicken is browning too quickly, move to cooler parts of grill or turn grill to low heat.
3. Transfer chicken to cutting board. Tent with foil; let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place lemon halves on the grill, cut side down; cook until slightly charred, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve chicken breasts with grilled lemon halves. Garnish with fresh oregano sprigs, if desired.
1. I used boneless chicken thighs instead of breast, I find them easier to cook.
2. This recipe is very forgiving, and you can play around a lot with it,
– At the time of marination, I added some freshly chopped parsley and balsamic vinegar.
– I also mixed in some broccoli to the marinade, you can add whatever veggies that your heart desires.
3. Since I chose to do this in the oven, my process was a bit different and took a good 20 minutes extra for the chicken to cook.
Step 1: Preheat the oven grill to 180 degree Celcius.
Step 2: Place the chicken and broccoli pieces on a pizza screen and place them on the oven grill.
Step 3: Flip the chicken pieces every few minutes to allow them to cook uniformally.
Step 4: Take out the broccoli pieces once done (this would happen within the first 10 minutes)
Step 5: Take the chicken out once it is cooked through and follow step 3 in the original method.
4. I also added some smoked pepper cheese to the dish, (place this in the oven for just 5 minutes while the chicken is being cooked for the melt-in-your-mouth effect)
5. Instead of oregano and lemon, I garnished with some olives.
Time spent in Kitchen: 1 hour (including time taken for marination)
Price range of the total cost of all ingredients: INR 200-300 (Please note that I made only about 1/4th of the recipe which served 2 people (the original recipe yields 8 servings) – 400 grams of boneless chicken thighs)