There are a number of reasons why you should make your own basil pesto sauce:
– It literally takes 5 minutes
– There is no cooking involved (so yes, even the kitchen virgins can impress people with this one)
– It lasts you many days
– It can be used to create multiple dishes!!
– It does not contain any fatty ingredients!
I know that some of you may not have acquired the taste for pesto, but this sauce forms a great base for many dishes or as a side dish to serve with your elaborate italian meals or can be simply spread on toasts!! And for those of you whose tastebuds speak the language of pesto (like me!), this is a complete win-win situation, you can use it to make pastas, bruschettas, sandwiches, pizzas, as a stuffing for grilled chicken and many many more!!
Here is a quick and easy 3 step formula to make your own pesto
What you need: Fresh basil leaves, walnuts (go a little easy on this one), garlic cloves , extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to taste! (and quantities of ingredients do not matter, you can adjust it as you go as per your tastebuds, I made mine with 1 cup of fresh basil leaves, 3 cloves of garlic and 1 tbsp of walnuts and 1/2 cup olive oil !)
Step 1 : Put all the ingredients in a grinder!
Step 2: Pulse till all the ingredients are mixed up and form a thick paste
Step 3: Pour in an air-tight jar, drizzle some olive oil on top and freeze until ready to be used!
Words of wisdom:
– If you intend to use your pesto over the next week or so, you can just store in the refrigerator but if it’s meant for longer use then freeze it and thaw before using!
– When making pasta, you can add some milk/ cream (ofcourse cream moves this dish into the category of borderline indulgence) to the pesto to turn it into a more creamy/ saucy dish!
– You can also mix up your pesto with other italian sauces.. like we did on Day 31.
A picture of the pesto pasta I made today (with broccoli, mushrooms, olives and some parmesan cheese drizzled on top) :