Another dish from the italian territory conquered, this one is fairly simple to make and falls into the amazing category of “any time food” (Just like Quesadillas made on Day 34). Many may feel that crepes are the italian and eggetarian version of the south indian dosa, I agree there is some uncanny resemblance in the appearance of these 2 dishes, but what goes into making them, is a completely different story, crepes are made from flour and egg and dosas (as we all know, are made from rice) and when it comes to fillings, there is a world of options waiting to be explored with crepes (from savoury to sweet). Today we explore one of the signature ones, mushroom filling in one of the best italian sauces , Bechamel sauce. Can’t go wrong with this!
Recipe 54: Crepes with mushroom and broccoli filling
Recipe credits: adapted from a recipe learnt @zaffirocookingclasses
CREPES (makes 3-4 crepes)
What you need:
2 eggs, 1/2 cup milk, 5gms of butter, pinch of salt, 1/2 cup flour, 1-2 tbsp sour cream
How to make the batter:
1. Break 2 eggs and beat them lightly.
2. Add ½ cup milk and mix well.
3. Add 5 grams. of butter and a pinch of salt and mix again.
4. Fold in ½ cup flour (do not use a machine for this)
5. Now add 1-2 tbsp of sour cream (milk + vinegar + water or Curd + water)
6. At this point, the consistency of the mix should be like milk.
7. Now leave the mix covered with a plate for 20 minutes.
What you need:
1 tbsp vegetable oil and 15 gm butter, 2 heaped tsp of chopped onions, 1 heaped tsp of garlic, 2 large mushrooms (finely chopped), 3-4 broccoli flowers (finely chopped), 1 tsp dried red chilli flakes or packaged red chilli flakes, salt, pepper, 1/3 cup bechamel sauce (white sauce + cheddar cheese + salt + pepper + ¼ cup fresh cream), water and dried oregano (as needed).
How to make it saucy:
1. In a pan, heat vegetable oil and butter.
2. Add the onions and garlic.
3. Add mushrooms, broccoli and red chilli flakes.
4. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, bechamel sauce, water and dried oregano. Stir for few seconds and shut flame.
5. Add some freshly chopped parsley (optional step).
How to make the crepes:
1. Heat a pan on low flame.
2. Grease the pan with very little butter (only required for first crepe)
3. Check consistency of batter, if required, add very little water.
4. Drop a large serving spoon full of batter on the centre of the pan, remove pan from heat and spread the batter evenly in a thin layer.
5. Once the edges start turning light brown, start lifting the crepe from the corners till you reach the centre and flip.
6. Once done (you will know when the second side is done when brown patchy dots start to appear on it), slide it off the pan.
Final step: Spread the filling on one semicircular half of the crepe. Spread some grated parmesan cheese on top and fold the crepe into a semi circle. Garnish with olives, fresh basil or even a red sauce , if you like.
Time spent in Kitchen: 40 minutes for the crepes (including fermentation time) and 20 minutes for the filling
Price range of the total cost of all ingredients: INR 150 -200 (for 3-4 crepes)
P.s. Any left over filling can be used to make absolutely amazing “mushroom on toast” the next day for breakfast 😀